Saturday, March 19, 2011

So long little piggies....

Well, after having animals of some sort for years now, we sold the only critters we had left, our pigs (well, we still have a couple of chickens, but I'm not sure how much longer they will last...we have something killing off all of them).  It was kind of bittersweet.  I love having animals.  I love walking down to the barn and having them run to the fence just BEGGING for your attention.    I love talking to them like they are my children.  I love feeding them and taking them little treats.  But after much thought and many conversations between my husband and I, we decided for the time being that we would sell our last sow and 3 piglets.

(Mrs. Piggy)


I don't know how expensive things are in your neck of the woods, but around here a 55 gallon barrel of All-Stock will run you about $40.00 and a 55 gallon barrel of Corn, well....you can't even find anyone that has it.  It's so expensive that no one around here will carry it.  So you have to buy it by the bag, which of course is ridiculous!

We do breed our pigs, so we like to start over with fresh mates every year or so...just because I don't want to take a chance on any interbreeding.  I guess we'll start over next spring.  Until then, it's going to be kind of lonely down on the farm.

Let's see how long I can go without my critters!

Blessings~

No comments:

Post a Comment